Re: Concerns About Netscape 6 Alpha

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Apr 2000 16:29:31 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mistress Caryl:

It's NOT your code.

Netscape 6 is just that--an alpha. It's only there for you to see what it is
going to look like in general. You're not supposed to try to use it. Not
even Netscape would claim it's ready for use as a finished product.

Don't let all the hype about it's supposed "perfect code" fool you. It will
be months--if ever--before it actually comes out. Several articles have
suggested that they are having a few problems trying to keep this so called
"true" HTML support and still be able to support all the stuff we are
already using.

There has always been a debate, (read that--war), between those who claim
the standards represented by validation--not sure "which" of the many
standards they mean--and the de:facto standard represented by the majority
of modern browsers in use, is the correct way to go.

Netscape's version 6 is caught right in the middle of this controversy. (Of
course, the more fanatical on each side will claim there is no
controversy--that their side is THE right one.)

My buddy had to try it and it was a disaster. He even had a heck of a time
un-installing it. I intend to take C-Net's advise and wait until a few more
of the bugs are worked out.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA