Re: Alt effect for text links

by "Tim Rivera" <lists(at)timrivera.com>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:58:24 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> How do I create alternate text for links?  What I am trying to do is
> duplicate the effect of an "alt" tag for an image, but do it for text links.
> I want a popup description of the link to appear when a user mouses over the
> text link.

I know this question was answered a couple months ago with the 'title'
attribute. However, as I am just now going through a few months worth of
email, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

Please do not use the 'alt' attribute to give "a popup description" of the
image when you want users to read the description, but rather always use
'title' for the description. Use 'alt' text only for it's intended purpose:
alternate text for when the image is not shown. I am not saying this to be
"technically correct", but because not all browsers (Opera and Mozilla for
example) display 'alt' text when the image is displayed.

Tim