Re: How is this background done?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:47:17 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Greg:

> I am perplexed a bit. I can understand how to use a slicing program to
break
> up a graphic into a table but how does one lay text on top of it. For
> example, if I break a graphic up with smartsaver, the graphic elements are
> placed in the <td></td> tag. Now there is no way I can then place text on
> top of that graphic. Correct?

Unless you are trying to use--or write for--an older Netscape as a browser,
(in which case--forget it), two ways come to mind here.

First, you could place the images as background images in the individual
cells rather than inserting them as a simple image. Of course this requires
some careful measurement in pixels as to size of image and table cell. You
can of course, place text over the background. Just remember to zero out
spacing and borders. Of course this won't work in older Netscape's.

Second method is the use of Cascading Style Sheets. (CSS) Using CSS you can
locate the various objects on your page using x-y coordinates from the
upper, left hand corner much as you would in a high end graphics program.

This might be a little tricky in FrontPage. You might like to download
CoffeeCup's Style Sheet Maker, www.coffeecup.com/ and play with it. It is a
semi WYSIWYG is that you can click your way down through dialog boxes and
wizards to create the code.
There are lots of articles on the web about object placement with CSS.

I'll admit I have done very little of this so far as I am still waiting for
Netscape to catch up with CSS. (NS-6 became available this morning though
C-Net claims it is a little too unstable for serious use as yet.)

Hope one or the other will inspire an idea or two ...
Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net