Re: Image Size

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 27 May 2000 15:34:57 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ken:

You will no doubt, get a lot of different opinions on this. Here are just a
few:

To edit the size of a JPEG, (In order of preference):

Canvas  www.deneba.com/
     Rated first as it also does so many other things
     you will need around the office and the "vector" text is priceless.
PhotoShop www.adobe.com/
Picture Publisher www.micrografx.com/
Paint Shop Pro http://www.jasc.com/product.asp?pf_id=001
WebImage http://www.group42.com/
Image Composer (part of FrontPage)
http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/imagecomposer/imagecomposer1.htm

And of course there are lots more.

As to size --- The smaller the better. The eternal struggle is always
between:

vs. size
vs. the amount of compression used, (image quality).

To satisfy loading time try to keep your image below 10K. And of course, 5K
is twice as nice. If the viewer has been warned and is prepared to spend the
time, then an image of 20+K is permitted in rare cases.

Often the net is crowded with traffic and it is not unusual for many 56K
modems to be actually downloading at around two K per second. Let us say you
have four pictures on your page, each about 10K. At 2K per second it is
going to take 20 seconds for the browser to load them. That's a long time to
ask someone to wait.

Although we all do it once in a while--after all, clients love their
pictures--it is still bad practice and is considered a no-no on commercial
sites.

Note: As many browsers load one table at a time, some of us place the title
banner and/or logo in a separate single cell table at the top so it will
load quickly and give the visitor something to look at while the rest of the
page loads.

And sometimes -- it even works. Well, sometimes ...

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net