Re: Image alignment Problem

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Sun, 9 Jul 2000 17:29:12 -0400
 To:  "Charla & Ed Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>,
<kixi(at)altavista.net>,
"HWG-basics" <HWG-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I think the problem is not necessarily the resolution but the size of the
> screen? You know, more room to expand so the text did not wrap?

My experience has been that the size of the monitor has nothing to do with
how much your screen will show and has no affect on the layout of your page.
The resolution of the display dictates this.  If you increase the size of
your monitor but keep using the same resolution, nothing should change with
the exception that everything will be larger.

> I have found that when it is important to position images within text
using
> tables gives better control. The position of the image in relation to the
> text will change based on the resolution and screen size if done, as you
> have here, by including the image in the text.

In general I agree, but in this instance, the layout should be fine without
tables.  The position of the images won't move based on the view's
resolution, but resolution or browser window size will affect where the text
breaks to the next line.  But that's ok, it still won't affect the layout.
The advantages of not using a table if you don't need are that it will be
easier for people accessing the page with anything other than a graphical
browser and you usually get better results with search engines.

BTW-  In my original post I used the word 'wrap' when I was talking about
the text flowing around the 'floated' image.  I believe using the word
'flow' would have been better to reduce the chance of confusion with
wrapping due to the issues discussed above.  I hope that made sense :-)

Steve