Re: mouse-over problem, again

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:27:28 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Michael:

You said:

>But how about a little personal responsibility on the part of the users?
>my pages all work in NN 3. That's my line. [drawn]

I could not agree more. We have all heard time and again, how we must
reduce our efforts to that supported by the lowest common denominator. But
never a word about encouraging people to bring their web surfing equipment
up to even a modest attempt toward current standards.

As I has said previously, valid code is really not the main issue. The main
issue is where to draw the line at providing for obsolete equipment. After
all--as many have pointed out--the latest browsers are all free.

I've heard a few pound home the fact that some people are "stuck" with
whatever browsers their employers or local libraries provide.

Well--every business owner I know that depends on the Internet for business
purposes, uses the latest and best. They HAVE TO. Because if they don't, you
can bet their competition most assuredly does.

As to libraries. I can not speak for everyone. But up here in the hilly
sticks of Northern California boon-docks, the librarians all insist that
they consider the suggestion that they fail to provide anything less that
IE-5 and/or Netscape 4.7+ downright insulting.

I have often suggested that "most" of these "old browsers" we often talk
about are in the hands of web authors, overly worried about old browsers.
And--for those "few" remaining--the sooner we stop codling them, the sooner
they will break down and upgrade.

Now--as to looking out for the visually impaired--that is indeed a worthy
endeavor--far more sensible than designing a web site in black and white on
the off chance that someone, somewhere, may still be using a B&W monitor.

Best wishes and happy sour grapes to all ...
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/novels/