Re: Frames theft

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Sun, 3 Oct 1999 13:50:58 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>,
<hilnscot(at)swbell.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original

-----Original Message-----
From: HilndScot(at)aol.com <HilndScot(at)aol.com>
To: hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
Date: Sunday, October 03, 1999 3:03 AM
Subject: Frames theft

>Hello to everyone,
>
>   I am using frames on my site (yes, I know there are those that hate them
>but, it's only a personal homepage) and I have a few pages I have spent
>countless hours in search in an attempt to collect the needed links, etc.
>What I am getting at is, is there a way I can safegaurd these pages from
>being linked to from other sites without defeating my frames also?

Unfortunately, no.  Well, maybe with some elaborate JavaScript, but this
beyond my expertise.  On second thought, depending on the Web server
software, you may be able to use some "content negotiation" code, but this
will be "server exclusive".  In either of the last, you would need to code
your page to extract the "referrer" and either display the page as-is, or
load a frames page to display the document.

The easiest workaround would be to make your "linked page" fully navigable,
and allow the user easy access to your "home page".

>   1 other question.   If I send a visitor to my site through a link, can I
>somehow always get the full frames to load and have the target page I want
>the viewer to see load in the frame I have designated as the main frame?
>Normally, I would send the link directly to that page but what I really
want
>to do is have the full frames version load with the target page loading as
if
>they had clicked a link within my site that designated the target frame.
>Hope I am getting what I am attempting to do clearly stated..  I can
picture
>it but, I find the words a little harder to manipulate to help you
visualize
>what I am seeing in my mind's eye.

If you want to start a new browser window, use an undefined target name,
something like target="new".  If you want to replace the entire window with
a page without frames, use target="_top".

paul