Re: Could do with some help!

by "David Rapp" <David(at)rappd.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:24:45 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I use BBEDIT for the Mac and Homesite for the PC. Both
> are excellent editors.

I'll back up HomeSite, used it at least as much as Dreamweaver and I didn't
buy Dreamweaver for that program. Homesites really usefull when it comes to
scripting events.

> My suggestion is to stay away from Frontpage,
> Page Mill, MS Publisher etc. if you want to create a great
> looking web site with code you can edit frequently.

Most of the WYSIWYG editors to be fair don't do what we want them to and
have a nasty habit of code changing.

> Dave...

> > Since reading these posts, I'm curious to know what
> > editors some of you out
> > there are using.

As a rule of thumb, 'basic' creation in Dreamweaver moving on to Homesite
for (Often Minor) Code Corrections and Scripting.

> > As a novice, I just assumed Notepad
> > was adequate.

For most novices it's one step up from the free WYSIWYG you got on a
magazine CD. When you want to do more work you should invest in a program
more geared to the task.

> > What is it  that you find indispensible in "full-featured" text
> > editors?

Lets see, colour coding of tags, autocomplete functions, pregenerated tags
and the pre written script that some have.

Generally the programs are more geared towards creating easily read and
understood code. Along with the automation of various functions, which saves
time.

It's not that I'm notepad bashing, I like the program it does it's job very
well. I do use it to code from time to time. But have noticed a marked
differrence when using Homesite.

> > TIA!
> > Sherill

David