Re: Is this off topic?

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:51:17 -0500
 To:  "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I am wondering just what the job market for web
> designers/developers is like in general.  I am in a one year web
> design program in the Seattle area, and
> I am hearing from students who are about to graduate that they
> can't find any job prospects, not even working for free.  Would it
> be too much to ask

Things vary according to the area you are in, but being a generic web
designer is at the low end of the spectrum pay wise and is not what
companies are looking for today.  They are looking for experienced people
with knowledge in specialized areas.  If it's not too late I would say you
should be looking for a certificate like one of the Certified Internet
Webmaster programs.  Our local J.C is changing their curriculum over because
of the demand.

I am taking classes because if I don't, I can blink and be left in the dust.
Classes are full of hungry would-be designers.  Get skills in JS, Perl, CGI,
XML, databases, ODBC, ASP and shopping cart construction and anything else
that you think might help.

Paul WIlson
webgooru(at)gte.net