Re: Software Conflict??

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:54:52 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Helen:

I was hoping that someone who actually knows what they're doing would answer
you. Hopefully, they answered direct.

But--If you are still waiting for help, here is the best I can offer:

Many of the different programs share a few common files like .dll's and
such. This is common practice and saves a lot of space. So--when you install
a piece of software it often looks to see if some of these "common" files
are already installed. If they are, it does not bother to install a second
copy. (Usually, such files are all stored in the same place anyway.)

In your case, it kind of sounds like when you uninstalled the CoffeeCup
software you accidentally removed one of these files that was needed
elsewhere.

Generally--the most often suggested remedy is to reinstall the program that
is now "acting up" so that the install program--no longer finding the
missing file--will go ahead and install a copy.

This usually cures the problem--but not always.  There could also, (or
instead), be a Registry problem.

So--if you have not already done so--go to:
http://download.cnet.com/
and download Microsoft's regclean.exe. This is a small but neat little
program that checks and fixes problems in the Registry. It won't produce
miracles of course, but running it--sometimes two or three times in a
row--will usually cause a noticeable improvement in overall performance. And
often, some of the weird hiccups go away.

The RegClean utility will save a copy of the Registry it "fixed" in case you
need to undo it.  So far--knock on wood--I never have. This is a ZIP file
and when unzipped, you will also see a ReadMe file. Be sure and print this
out as insurance--just in case. (I have ran this utility many times and have
never needed to go back and re-read the thing yet.)

One last thing--be sure to drag the RegClean icon displayed in the install
directory, onto the START button, (or Desktop), before you close that
directory window. Otherwise, you'll have a heck of a time finding it. It
hides in the Windows/Temp file as regclean.exe.

Now--sorry--if none of this helps, then you really will have to find
somebody who DOES know what they are doing.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net