Re: Pop-up window<Javascript?>

by "Thomas Rumley" <redo4you(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:25:41 -0500
 To:  "HWG Basics List" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Oh boy! Not I get to jump up on my soapbox!!!

First and formost I think I should preface the following statements with a
little note. JavaScript and Java are two different animals. Those new to web
site design may not know the difference yet. JavaScript is a scripting
language that allows you to add some nice user interaction to your web page.
It allows you to preload impages, handle tables, create jump boxes and a
variety of other things. It works so well because JavaScript loads from the
actual web page, it doesn't require the browser to go back and buzz the
server for more information.

JAVA is a full fledged programming languages and allows you to do a score of
things. Data base control, file look up, and well as some very spiffy
graphic tricks that take a very long time to load into your browser window.
You can usually tell a JAVA bean by seeing a gray box somewhere on your web
page that looks quite a bit like a hole in your window. For web page
creation, when your not needing anything from the server, JAVA is at best an
annoyance and at worst harmfull.to your frame of mind (and your computer).

Now to the meat of my answer...

Now, there are some possible threats from JavaScript. Truthfully I don't
remember what they are; someone told me a few years ago and I just can not
dredge them up from the depths of my mind. The likelihood of you receiving
damage from these threats are akin to you catching sleeping sickness from
tse - tse flys in mid - winter in Michigan.

JAVA on the other hand, can pose a threat to you. Because it is a
programming language it can effect parts of your computer, It's akin to
Microsoft's active x controls. They can do damage if you're not aware and
you should take some precautions if the thought of bringing up your computer
from scratch bothers you. You should note though that I've been on the web
for a fairly long time now and I've never had problems from a JAVA applette.

Why would you tell people to turn off cookies? Cookies can in no manner harm
your computer. If you look at a cookie in your computer you'll see that all
it holds is a string of text. These strings only hold some specific bit of
information, that you supplied to a web site for some kind of transaction.
They can not hold virsues or other web horrors that you have heard about.If
you ever have some cookies that you're not sure about, just deleate them.
It's not difficult to do and it will give you some peace of mind if your
worried in that direction.

Stuff to worry about.

Viruses are the main thing to worry about on the web that can do damage to
your clients' computers. Simply tell them never to open an email attatchment
from someone that they don't know. Even then, a good anti-virus program can
protect you from that. Try AVG at http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm.
It's a very reliable service that is 100% free.

I know my thoughts on the subject goes against the grain for some of the
membership. Frankly I'm surprised the Captain Fuzzy hasn't tried to hit me
with a zip disk. But I do believe my thoughts on the subject are valid and
I'm sticking to them!

Tom Rumley