Re: website update

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:14:44 -0400
 To:  "jenniferwynell" <jennw(at)jenniferwynell.com>,
"HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have a new website to make for a realtor.  I need to make the site so
> that she can update her listings herself (or have her assistant do it).
> Does anyone have any suggestions about the best and perhaps easiest way
> to accomplish this?  All I really have is a basic understanding of HTML,
> but I'm in this biz because I love it and am willing to learn whatever I
> need to accomplish the task.

 Tell her next time you buy a house, you're going to buy direct from a home
owner and skip the realtor.

  We exist in an increasingly service based economy.  If everyone wants to
do everything for themselves, we won't have much economy left.  I think the
fact that you want the business is pushing you into accepting this bad idea.
Not everyone can put on a new roof or change a car transmission, nor should
they try.

 I tried a job like this once with poor results. I rebuilt a nice looking
website for a guy and took out a ton of JS effects. Evidently the JS the
previous webmaster used was making it hard for this owner to make changes to
the website, but he didn't tell me that.  Had I known they planned to take
over the website, I would have turned them down.  Anyway it was a very nice
looking job that was clean and very fast when I finished.

  I received emergency calls twice after he screwed things up and worked on
the weekend to get him back up.  In the end they have created a monster
website that has so much useless flash animation and obnoxious sound effects
that the website is functionally almost useless.

  A good webmaster has the ability to create new images and paint a story
for people to see.  They promote the website directing people to look at
it..  They drive sales because what they have created compels people to feel
comfortable with who they are dealing with.  Successful realtors don't have
the time, the equipment, the technique or the software to create a really
compelling website or make additions.

 You need to sell this realtor on your ability to take care of them.  People
have to trust a realtor when they buy or sell a home.  This realtor needs to
trust that what you do will create enough new business for them to be worth
their money.

This won't be easy if he/she is a persuasive salesperson because they have
some ideas stuck in their head that probably need changing.  Good luck.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net