Re: URGENT!! PLEASE HELP!

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:45:05 -0500
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tricia,

I sounds to me like you are trying to solve a problem that you are not
responsible for.  If all the members of your target audience using AOL 5.0
(or earlier for that matter) were having this problem, then I'd say yes, you
have a problem.  But it sounds to me like it's just this one individual.
Either there is a problem with his machine or configuration, or there is a
problem with his AOL account.  If you're like me, you like to help people.
You also want your website to be viewed by everyone with no problems.
That's the sign of a good designer that takes pride in his/her work. But in
this instance, it sounds like it is out not about what you have done.  It is
out of your control and you may have to learn how to say no to providing
technical support in these kinds of instances.  I'm not saying to be rude or
cold.  After you have determined the problem is not on your end, you may
want to politely advise them of their options and guide them to seeking the
appropriate help.  In this case, probable AOL (again, either the account or
the configuration of the browser.  Either way, a knowledgeable rep from AOL
should be able to go through all the possibilities with this person and
resolve the problem.  Remember, just because one rep. couldn't resolve this
individual's problem, does not mean the responsibility falls back to you.
It's still an AOL issue and this person needs to be persistent with them.

All that being said, I do see value in trying to resolve it yourself though.
If anyone else ever has this same problem, it would be nice to be able to
quickly tell them how to fix it.  If you want to stick with this, then there
a question that begs to be answered.  You mentioned that this person " is
getting error messages from the page and can't even view it!" What exactly
are these error messages?  This could help members on this list point you in
the right direction.

good luck,
Steve Antonio
santonio(at)delanet.com