Re: Question on HTML pages

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:10:13 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This happens with me a lot - i read a question and see two questions.
[grin] Now, either you're asking for the frames thingy where your
links remain static to the left side and when you click on the link,
the related info loads. OR, you're asking how you can just simply put
in the HTML of the table in every page without having to insert the
actual code in every single darn page.

If it is the former, then you should explore the <frameset> tag. I
havent' found anything better than the J.Barta tutorial. It can be
found at:
  http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/forms/index.html

If it is the latter solution that you seek, then you need to follow
these steps (by the way, this is called Server Side Includes):
1. Just take the code from <table> to </table> and put it into a
   separate text file. Name it something like linktable.html perhaps?
   Remember: nothing else! The first word is <table> and the last is
2. Replace everything from <table> to </table> in every file with a
   simple line:

     <!--#include file="linktable.html"-->

   That is, where it used to be
       blah

   it would be:
     <!--#include file="linktable.html"-->

But to do this, make sure your server supports SSI (Server Side
Includes). Besides that, most probably (and this is like 99.9%), you
will have to rename all the files that use this line to .shtm or
.shtml (there is an additional "s" after the "."). Just make a generic
search for "Server Side Include" and you'll get a lot of resources for
this.

HTH

[abhay]