Re: Seen this lately?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:45:01 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Fuzzy:

> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/
>
> Cool/Wow/Woh/Cheeeezzzzz/~cool~ !.
> Fuzzy.

I'm sorry but I must demur. I think it's a terrible page.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting down either the organization nor the
information the page contains. I am objecting to the page itself.

To my eye, this is a "page" that represents the ultimate example of
information over presentation. Again, don't get me wrong. I'm not
complaining about the lack of graphics, or whiz bangs. I am talking about
the read-ability and use-ability of the "page".

Even coming from a guy who is regularly chastised for putting a full chapter
of a novel on one "page" -- this example is one hell-of-a long page. What
about the poor slob who wants to print it out to read with the morning
coffee? He either has to print the whole darn thing or copy and paste into a
word processor for printing. And even for reading, there is a lot of
different subjects, all stuffed into the same page. By every standard I've
ever seen--either print media or on-line--this is a no-no.

But perhaps the most glaring boo boo here is the line length. By even the
most extremely lenient standards, the line length is too long by half.

Granted, the author may be trying to please version one browsers and Bobby
at the same time--along with half a dozen outmoded browsers we have all
forgotten--and so chose NOT to use tables. Although my reading of Bobby
standards can not find any fault with a blank cell as a means of reducing
line length, maybe they still chose not to use tables.

But even then, what would be so wrong with a simple <.BLOCKQUOTE>??

I blather on like this because I got the impression that this page was
pointed out to the beginners on this Basics list as a GOOD example--while I
on the other hand--consider it a BAD example of the current state of the
art. Even worse--it looks amateurish.

And sad to say--this sort of thing is just one of the reasons "some" persons
have the audacity to ignore the wonderful work they have done and the good t
hey still do, and wonder out loud whether W3 is still "relevant".

Well- Personally I think W3 is very relevant-- BUT with all due
respect--it's just not necessarily perfect.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net