Re: Difference 'twixt XHTML and XML?

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 2 May 2000 01:55:43 -0400
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> >The list is more than just helping each other with our problems.  It is
also
> >a forum to discuss HTML in general which includes CSS and now XHTML.

> Actually, when XHTML came out, I asked the list guide whether XHTML was a
> suitable topic for this mail list:  I was told "NO", that the XML list is
> more appropriate.

Well, there I go assuming again!  I was wondering if that statement was
going to get me into trouble.  The HWG is a fully supporting and very active
member of the W3C.  So when I saw XHTML 1.0 listed on the W3C's HTML home
page as a current public draft, I naturally carried over that association to
the HTML list.

I'm suprised at the official stance.  Personally, because of the current
state of XHTML, I would think either list would be acceptable.  I say this
because XHTML 1.0  is just current HTML rewritten with stricter structure to
make it XML 1.0 compliant.  It is an interim step to help migrate us to pure
XML  (Just as the CD replaced the record, XML will replace HTML).  As a
matter of fact, the XHTML 1.0 spec refers you to the HTML 4.01 spec for all
of it's markup...... and the root element is still <html>.

Steve A.