Re: external style sheet ?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:35:35 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sherill:

Everybody does this different but here in the preverbal nutshell,
is how I do it and of course, the girls in our office all do it
differently.

I think of CSS just like using a style in Word.

So I create the several different "styles" I will be using and
then call them just as I would select text and assign styles in a
word processor.

My "rules" are simple.

1. As the support for CSS is limited, only use it when you
absolutely have to.

2. Do not use more than two or three different "looks". It makes
the page look too flashy. Too "Busy".

3. Remember that any SSI inserts will use the CSS attributes in
effect at that point in the page. In other words, when you want
the inserted SSI file to have a different style, call the style
before you call the SSI file.

4. And lastly--After the SSI file is over, be sure to re-call the
main style again. Remember the "Cascading" part.

Oh sure--I make a lot more in the way of boo-boos but I think
those listed above are the ones most often abused.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hi all!
>
>I'm getting ready to start another web site. Up until now, I've
been playing
>with using embedded CSS and this time I want to have an external
page. My
>question is, what is the working order that some of you use when
doing this?
>Should I make up all my pages, then do the external style page,
then go back
>and insert the proper rules? Do I make a list of any possible
style rules
>that I might use and then eliminate what I don't use? I must
admit I don't
>regularly do a mock up on paper, and if I do, its only blocking
(not color,
>size, font, etc). But maybe that's how I should start this one?
I'm kind of