Re: OT browser problems

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:06:13 -0500
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Deb,

I'm using the same browser.  A few thoughts came to mind when I read your
problem:

Problem- You cannot run Java from ANY website.
Possibility #1- Java Virtual Machine is not installed for Internet Explorer.
If you did a minimum install of IE this would be the default configuration.
I'm not sure how to verify whether it's installed or not, but on my system,
if I go to the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options", click the "Settings"
button under the "General" tab, then click on "View Objects", I see
"Internet Explorer Classes for Java" listed as one of the installed objects.
I know you can get the Java Virtual Machine by going to the Windows Update
website.

Possibility #2- The security options for your browser are set high enough
that they don't allow any Java applets to be run in your browser.  As one
list member already pointed out, this setting is under the "Tools" menu,
select "Internet Options, click on the "Security" tab. Java may not run if
the slider control under "Security Level for this zone" is set on "High".
Or, if you go a little further, click on the "Custom Level" button and
scroll down and look for "Microsoft VM" and check if the disabled option is
selected for "Java Permissions".

Possibility #3- Your Java Virtual Machine installation is corrupt and needs
to be reinstalled, or for that matter, IE itself.

Possibility #4- You are behind a firewall and is setup to block Java applets
from being transferred. (Not likely since you say NN4.7 can run Java)

Problem- You cannot run Java from SOME websites.
Possibility #1- Your version of the Java Virtual Machine needs updating
(unlikely since you're running IE 5.0 or 5.01)

Possibility #2- You are behind a firewall. I had the opposite problem in the
past where on some sites I couldn't run Java on NN but always could with IE.
It turned out NN couldn't handle certain implimentations of Java through the
firewall. (Ah the joys of the absence of standards)

Hope this helps,
Steve
santonio(at)delanet.com