Re: Directory structure for multi-page site

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:34:26 -0400
 To:  "HTML Writers' Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hubert,

It seems the method Dan describes is the most common method of organization
that I've observed in my travels on the internet.  I recently began using it
myself.  One advantage to having files such as images in their own directory
is you can quickly locate them for reuse in any other page on your website
while not chewing up anymore of your valuable webspace for multiple copies.
For large websites, your concern over accidentally deleting the wrong file
is valid.  Programs such as Front Page and Homesite have website management
tools to help with this.  Whether you have management tools or not, two
additional suggestions I can make:

1. Always mirror your website on your computer.
2. Backup your computer regularly.

hth,
Steve