Re: Netscape 6 bashing

by "Andrew Angelopoulos" <angelopoulos(at)csi.com>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:19:08 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I would have to say yes, you are one of the lucky minority.

I work in a software house and I can't tell you the amount of grief NN6
caused us initially.

I have it installed, but use it as little as possible. I check my own work
against IE4, IE 5, and NN4.x, and happily make changes when necessary. I
shudder when I think about checking work against NN6.

NN6 makes NN4.x look great in comparison. Maybe the opinion is unfair, but
how many chances do I have to give Netscape to waste my time? I've gone from
believing in universal browser support to "how can I best make use of my
time and accommodate as many people as possible while meeting my deadlines."
I don't have infinite time to make them all work "right." More and more
often the answer is to code for IE primarily (I hate having to that), NN4,
and leave NN6 as an afterthought.

Now before I get slammed let me just say that I want to code for everyone,
but it seems that Netscape won't let me and wants to make my life more
difficult. That's the company's fault. Maybe future releases will fix
complaints and other issues. If that is the case, it should never have been
released in the first place. It is hard to overcome negative opinion and
decreasing market share.

At least Opera 5 is free now (though ad-based). Maybe they'll give MS a run
for its money (or make everyone's life even harder<wink>).

Andrew