Database work

by "Beth Adler" <doglover(at)cgmailbox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:09:01 -0700
 To:  "HTML Basics List" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I've re-designed a website for an organization whose site does not work in
Netscape at all, and temporarily located it at a different address from the
original site.  The org will keep their domain name and I think their web
host as well.  The problem is how to get my files onto their site.  They
want to include a database presumably so members only can have access to
certain pages, and I know nothing about that.  They are using Front Page
(they do not know or care to learn HTML) and I'm using a basic HTML text
editor.  They just sent me the following message:

> "In a nutshell, my dilemma is trying to coordinate your work with the
> database work Tony is compiling on FrontPage. The bottom line is I need to
> stay with FrontPage. Sometime this week, I will pull up your site and
> attempt to edit it with my web software and see if it works in Netscape.
Or
> you could e-mail me one of the pages and I could copy it in, as FrontPage
> has an HTML mode."

I disagree about needing to stay with Front Page.  Can't they upload some
pages with Front Page while I upload other pages through FTP?

I just sent them back a message requesting that I be allowed to upload my
own pages since it sounds like they just want to take over my pages after I
do them and not give me access to the website, which I find horrifying.  I
really need the exposure this will give me, though, so I'm trying to find a
way to help them with their database problem.  I don't know if I've given
you enough information to go on here, but it's really all I know.  Can
anyone help?  If you're familiar with this sort of thing let me know and I
can give you their e-mail address privately if you'd like.  Thanks!

Beth