Re: Books or magazines

by "Kate Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:23:45 -0500
 To:  "Marcia" <marciaanddarin(at)yahoo.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Marcia,
I am a neophyte myself so I think I can answer this from a different
perspective than folks who are more experienced.  Of course, I don't know
your personal background.  My approach has been to buy every computer
magazine off the shelf that remotely interests me and get a sampling.  You
can get tips from a wide range of magazines, some as mundane as Yahoo
Internet Life and E-Bay about what folks are doing with their sites.  For
technical stuff, I found that PC Magazine is really orienting itself to
covering web software and solutions and it is an excellent resource.  If you
are interested in the issues in the industry, try Industry Standard.  I
literally read any computer magazine I can get my hands on and that helps
too.

My best advice is to find a great newsstand in your area.  It might be the
local Barnes & Noble.  If you're in a big city, ask folks where the best
magazine stand is.  Go peruse the magazines and see what interests you.
Then when you find something you really think is invaluable, get a
subscription.  You can get Publish! for free if you're in the industry, just
go to their site.
I hope this is helpful.  You'll find that there is literally a magazine for
every nuance in the industry so it's best to go and find out what suits you
right now and then as you progress, you will outgrow certain magazines and
move on to the more advanced subjects.
Kate Pollara