Re: Virus Question

by "Andrew Angelopoulos" <angelopoulos(at)csi.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:06:14 -0400
 To:  "Blue Tapp" <blue(at)bluesarthouse.com>,
"HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yup. I got quiet a few. It takes e-mail addresses from both your address
book and those found in your browser cache (supposedly). It then uses its
own SMTP server (now located on your machine)  to bounce e-mails against
tanother server (relay) to the intended recipients (maybe this explains the
weird addresses).

First it tries the server that sent it to you! If that server has beent
taken down or fixed it tries a couple of default ones (I think
doubleclick.com was one).

What I don't understand (*techie rant*) is why people insist on opening up
files with two extensions (I mean filename.doc.exe is a bit suspicious--I
know not everybody knows, but I had to complain). Just like
annkournikova.jpg.vb. Everybody saw anna, and jpg and didn't hesitate to
open it when they couldn't explain the vb part (ok, not everybody, guys
mostly). Why did MS create VB anyway?

Andrew