Re: Excel Files to HTML

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:09:07 -0400
 To:  "HTML Writers' Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have a question for you experienced HTML types. I have a list of members
> for an organization in an Excel spreadsheet that the client wants as a
> directory in their web site. I have tried converting the spreadsheet to
HTML
> witin Excel, the results were not acceptable. I can cut and paste the
> contents and markup the results, but that is time consuming. Is there any
> other alternative?

Edward,

Here's three alternatives:

1. Were the results of the HTML conversion unacceptable in how it looked or
the code that was produced?  If it is the code, you could try running it
through TIDY to clean it up.

2.  How big is the directory?  If it's large, then it might be worth
converting the spread sheet to a comma or tab delimited text file, and then
write (or find) a Perl program to convert that into an HTML file.  You can
precisely control the layout and code this way.  In this case the time
consumed would be writing the Perl program.  Like I said, this would only be
worth the time if the directory is large and manual cutting, pasting, and
markup would take just as much time or more.  You would also have this new
tool available for any similar situations in the future.

3. If it's alright with your client, you could convert it into a PDF (please
don't shoot me Olav <g>).  If you don't have Adobe's Acrobat, you can use
the method Jim Tom Polk shared with the list only a couple of weeks ago.
(it's free and works great!)

If the above aren't possible, then the only solution I see left is the time
consuming cut/paste/markup that you already mentioned.

hth,
Steve