Re: Website Protection

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:40:28 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sorry Brent:

We go through this every other month or so. As the information has already
been downloaded to your site visitor's computer in order to enable their
browser to display it, there is NO known way to insure "complete protection"
for articles and/or images short of NOT displaying them in the first place.

I suspect we will now go through several days of "what if" scenarios from
our members. Invariably, each suggestion will then be followed by an
explanation of how to get around it.

Again, sorry--If you can see it, you can "steal" it. Especially text. If
someone figures out a way to defeat Copy and Paste, you can always use Print
Screen, print it out and OCR it.

If Right-Clicking won't work--A quick look at the source code will give you
the file name of an image and you can then "call" it just like any other
URL.

And of course, it's ALL in your browser's Temp Files as well.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/novels/
www.newsredding.com/
www.ramac-rc.org/

> I'd like to add some type of security to my website to prevent copying.
I've