Re: Need help with common web page information

by "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:30:32 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Linda,

It doesnt have to be complicated.

SSI include files are pretty simple for just adding in some standard text or
links on each page of your site. The Big Nose Bird site tells how to do what
you're talking about. http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

Use a line such as this one: <!--#include file="pagebottom.txt" --> placed
in the HTML page where you want the text to appear. Upload the text file it
refers to ("pagebottom.txt" in this example)  to the same directory as the
HTML page. This text file may have html in it, but is saved as ".txt" and is
not a complete html page with HTML, HEAD and BODY tags. A list of main site
links, your copyright notice etc. would be a good example.
Using server side includes can become complicated, but you dont have to
start out at the high end, you can start with simple text files. Just check
your server first.

Pam