Re: Newbie - Design approach?

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:38:29 -0000
 To:  "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Many thanks for your reply -
Exactly what i was looking for, and wonderful links for the tag charts :-)

As regards <span> - i think i have been misled by my book; despite an errata
that does not mention the deprecation of <span> being incorrect; but I am
sure they have it wrong -
I've been sent to the W3C site and there is no indication *there* that it is
deprecated - and they should know!

> I would pick the most advanced level of html you can, considering what
> you're trying to do. Lets say you select xhmtl; use that in the dtd in
your
> code and validate to that standard.

And i thought HTML4.1 was the most advanced!
- though i do have XHTML in the book, i thought that much of that was not
yet working or adhered to by the browsers, so was not really a practical
starting point?
But you say it is possible to write to XHTML standards already?
There's a challenge!
(now i need to actually *write* something :-)

Many thanks for you answer, much appeciated - and all the links to go study
now :-)

http://www.ncdesign.org/html/list.htm
is wonderful  -  except it is 2-columns wider that a printed page;
they must have been adding columns to their chart and not printed it out :-(

Hilma
--x----