Re: Domain Name on AOL

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:36:57 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Shawn:

I seems that there is some very real confusion about AOL. Not just your
questions, but from the continuing inquires about AOL that show up on this
list.

I would like to comment on them but first, I must qualify my remarks by
acknowledging that my comments are both opinionated and prejudicial.

First off--AOL was not designed to be a Domain Name host. AOL was created to
do just one thing--make money for the owners, staff and stockholders of AOL.

That's what all the proprietary browsers, interfaces and such are all about.
To aid in the profit of AOL and not to assist their clients or make it easy
to either surf the web or create web sites of their own.

You must remember, that like CompuServe, AOL was in existence ever since the
"web" has been around. At first the web was a scary place indeed. And such
services as AOL took some of the confusion away from the newbee surfer. In
fact. I was a dumb but happy customer of CompuServe for nearly two years.
But--As the WWW grew, both AOL and CompuServe--and some others who have gone
away--have become little more than glorified "portals" with the glaring
disadvantage of proprietary browsers that limit their usefulness.

In other words, they do nothing above what the dozens of other free "portal"
sites do except they do it in a more confining manner. Albeit with a lot of
smoke and mirrors to give the impression of value.

Almost ALL ISP's offer free e-mail with their access accounts and most also
include a free website. In fact, I once had a client that had me create sub
webs to his "free" in-house web site and he ended up with over a dozen
commercial sites tacked on and all for his fifteen dollar monthly fee for
internet access.

If your friend is ready for a domain name, then they are ready for an
account with a "real" web host. AOL is no more a viable option for this than
using your grandfather's Oldsmobile to go racing on the Gran Prix Circuit.

On this list we can only discuss price in the broadest of terms but I think
I am safe in saying that most ISP's will host a domain name, (and the sub
webs under it), give your friend 24-7 access to the web, 2 or  3 e-mail
accounts and an extra "free" website should he ever care to use it--and all
for the same--or less--than the "Unlimited Access" charge by AOL.

AOL may have been easy to "hook up to" but now it's time to graduate!!

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net