Re: email

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:15:42 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Shawn:

The "simple" way to create your HTML e-mail letter is to do the creating
right in Outlook Express.

Just start a New Message and under the Format menu select Rich Text (HTML).

The form will change to allow the use of simple tools such as found in
WYSIWYG editors, albeit rather skimpy. You can use the insert menu to place
images and text files. Outlook Express  allows the usual alt tags, text
flow, etc. around pictures. I would stay within the confines of these
limited features if at all possible as the more "goodies" you insert, the
fewer people will be able to see them with their outmoded e-mail clients.

Example: The use of animated GIF's will work in far more e-mail clients than
JavaScript.

Speaking of feature support, the only CONSISTENT way I have ever been able
to e-mail newsletters to AOL recipients was to use plain text. No colors, no
pictures, no nothing!!!

For those with "real" e-mail capability, the pictures and other features
WILL show up just fine. But even here, you should be aware that a few people
will have HTML e-mail messages filtered out.

To get your plain text version for AOL just copy the original to a new
message and choose Plain Text from the Format menu. You will get a warning
message telling you that all the neat stuff is going by-by but I guess AOL
customers are used to this. Just double check your message to make sure it
still makes sense with all the images and justification eliminated.

And regardless of the hoopla, I have been told by several AOL members that
the new Version 6 still does not "handle" HTML e-mail all that well.

Hope this helps a little ...
Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA