Re: Assistance with a wave file....please

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:37:31 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If there is a good answer to your question, I don't know it.  It is also a
question that has been brought up here on occasion and I don't remember that
we ever resolved it satisfactorily.

 .WAV is native to Windows only and all my experimenting including JS has
shown that what works great for I.E. doesn't work as well for Netscape and
vice-versa.  I have spent days experimenting with every possibility the code
could be written in, and I am convinced there is no one all encompassing
solution to this problem.  This is another of those gray areas where the
browsers each eschew their own proprietary code.

I have found the most universal way of playing sounds is as someone
suggested - use Flash because it is supported by a vast majority of systems.