Re: FTPing

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:58:37 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jackie:

An FTP program is used very much in the same manner that you
would use Windows Explorer. In general, there will be two fields,
one representing the folder on your hard drive and the other
representing the folders on the web server.

Usually, all you need to do is select the file, (or files) you
want and drag them to the other field. A little dialog box should
pop up asking if you wish to copy, (upload / download) X number
of files. You click OK and and it will transfer a copy of the
file(s) to the other location.

Before you can do this however, you must "log" into the server.

You will need the exact location of the web on the server, your
user name and password.

In the case of CuteFTP, they have a "Site Manager" that provides
a screen for you to fill in this information along with a space
for you to assign a title for this connection. It also allows you
to assign a location on your hard drive at the same time.

Other brand FTP programs work in a very similar manner.

I use CuteFTP and if you need more detailed info on this
particular program, just e-mail me privately. Others on this list
can help you with almost any of the several programs available.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net