Re: Sidebar question

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:17:19 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Wendy:

Ah terminology, terminology.

If by "sidebar" you mean a background graphic that has a two or
three inch strip of color, fading into the rest of the page that
is white or some other color, the answer is yes. The photo
editing portion of Corel Draw could most certainly create it.

We don't use Corel so I can not give you a step by step but
basically, you create a .gif, (or .jpg) that is as wide as any
screen resolution you wish to cover and a few pixels deep. If
there is a pattern, then the depth must be sufficient to allow
the pattern to repeat down the page.

One keeps this as small as possible however, as a graphic that
wide eats up file size with a hunger that is astonishing. Maybe
the analogy is off here--I guess I was thinking of bulging
waistlines. Boy, do I know about bulging waistlines.

Anyhow, every program has coloring and most importantly--blending
tools. The rest is just artistic license.

If I am thinking of the wrong thing here, then you can assume in
general that Corel Draw's Photo Editor will do just about
anything that Paint Shop Pro would do though perhaps not some of
the "heavy duty" stuff found in PhotoShop or Canvas.

In general we use Rosemary's suggestion with colored backgrounds
in tables for this sort of thing as it loads so much quicker.

Good luck and best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hi,
>    I want to put a sidebar on my webpage and I was wondering if
I needed a