Re: resolution puzzle

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:29:47 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Moira:

Yes--"generally" resolution is the key factor here.

That having been said, all monitors are not equal as to how much of that
resolution they show. There is usually a black mask around the screen that
limits things and some monitors constrict the 800x600 or whatever to within
the actual viewing area  and sadly, some do not. All of them fudge a bit
here but some a lot more than others. In broadest terms a 15" monitor has
more "fudging" room than a 14". (Even my 19" has such a black border that
expands and contracts as the monitor warms up. But in general, its 800x600
does show a tiny bit more than my old 15.)

IE vs Netscape?

My apologies to those who prefer Netscape, but here again, in general,
Netscape often (always) falls short of IE in so many ways. In fact, most of
the knowledge we acquire and fuss with every day in designing web pages that
work, is overcoming the shortcomings of Netscape and AOL.

When you hear the discussions, (arguments) about validation, WYSIWYG
editors, JAVA problems and a host of others, a careful reading between the
lines usually brings up our good friends Netscape and AOL. If "everybody"
used IE-5 there just would not be all that much to argue over.

As the rather neat bald guy from Siam said ... "'Tis a puzzlement."

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net