Re: Script To Determine Who Visited Your Website

by "Debra Sawyers" <dsawyers(at)ptd.net>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:49:45 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> How can I make sure that only those that I give permission to use the
> facility, have access other than using it as part of my site in the
> conventional way?
> I will be giving them the URL or script to use so can something be
imbedded
> in that URL to say who they are? If so how do I use it? Also is there a
way
> that I can send the surfer back to where they came from when they hit the
> home button. (i.e. a variable URL)

tough questions.  Does your site support ASP?  I just started taking
courses, and I'm by no means ready to write that kind of script, but I'm
thinking along the lines of a querystring.  Each company that would provide
a link would use a different modifier after the page URL, (ie:
http://www.yoursite.com/catalog.asp?refer=0212  )  you'd be able to verify
who the link came from in the script/code and if it wasn't recognized,
provide return a page that said permission denied or something.  The
querystring would then be used to provide the correct link back to the
referring page.

Sorry this is a pretty rudimentary explanation, but someone with a bit more
experience could help you out more and possibly tell you how to
bank/database the referring pages so you can determine where most of your
hits are coming from.

Deb