Re: My page won't view in Netscape- HELP

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:18:33 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Vikki:

Your page does show in Netscape 4.7 -- sort of ...

My copy had to cough, spit, and load up a couple of plug-ins before it could
finish loading and then--compared to IE--there were a few features that just
never came up.

You must remember that Netscape simply does NOT support some of the goodies
you are using on that page.

For example: That "mouse trailer" with the welcome message is only good for
Internet Explorer. Also--as any trip to the upgrade shop by an IE user will
usually result in an installation of Microsoft's Media Player, it will just
naturally show "most" types of music devices. Netscape on the other
hand--requires the proper plug-in. Granted--in this case--although IE
"showed" your music device at the bottom of the page, it would not work.

As has been argued to death on this list--one can validate till the cows
come home--but many of us have always contended that valid code ALONE does
not guarantee that EVERY browser will show EVERY feature.

This is an ongoing problem--one that really separates webmasters from code
writers. This business of getting ones "stuff" to work in all browsers.
There is really no answer because "some" things simply are not supported by
"some" browsers.

Fuzzy has always advocated code validation and the use of the
correct--whatever that is--DTD statement. (There does seem to be a whole
bunch of them.)

I on the other hand, have been advocating the KISS principle. (It's the
engineer in me.) As I--and many others--use FrontPage, we don't have much of
a problem with valid code. After all, FrontPage--or most any other WYSIWYG
editor does not have INVALID code in it's database!!! So--we simply set
FrontPage to use ONLY those features supported by BOTH Netscape and IE (4+).

But even with FrontPage, the big problem is always choosing the features
that will work everywhere. So the choice is always between using features
that only one browser will support--or--forgoing many features so that
Netscape will not only be able to show "all" of your goodies on the page,
but actually load it in the first place..

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net