Re: Creating footers

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:22:08 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
David:

Assuming you want the same "footer" information on every page--or at least,
many pages--the simple way is to use an include file:

<!--#include virtual="name-of-file.txt"-->

The .txt may be almost any kind of file--even another HTML file or even a
graphic. You put the above "call" where you want the file to appear. Be
aware that this is a SERVER SIDE gizmo. (SSI) Therefore, unless you are
running a server properly equipped on your desktop machine, you may have to
upload the page before the Include file will work.

Also--If your include file is not in the same folder, (directory) as your
pages, then you will have to name the "path" to that file in the tag above.
That's kind of why the word "virtual" is part of the tag. If your include
file is in the same folder as the pages, then supposedly, the word virtual
could be omitted.

Using include files may also require the use of a different extension for
your pages. Instead of .htm or .html, you may have to use .shtml on Apache
servers or .stm on NT servers. This tells unenlightened servers to look for
the include statement and supply the proper file.

This is not true of ALL servers though. Some ISP's actually do provide the
service of taking the five minutes or so to set their .haccess files (or
Registry on NT's) to allow the use of normal pages. (Others claim horrendous
server overload, etc. but most articles on this subject agree that such
claims are unjustified.)

I sadly suspect that this subject too, could start a "war".

In my case, I have two ISP's that allow include files on "regular" HTML
pages and one ISP that requires .shtml. Guess which ones will get my future
business??

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA