Re: Number of Keywords--in Title

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:23:55 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lori:

OK--So it's Monday and I'm grumpy. But even factoring in the "grumpy old
man" part I still think you are perhaps, wasting your time, trying to "out
key word" the competition.

I would suggest that your client would be far better served--and quite
possibly, with a lot less effort on your part--by having Parkway Chevrolet
make a "trade-out" deal with local radio stations and or local weekly
flyers.  They would run advertising for the Parkway web site in return for
your making them a small, "business card" type web site. Parkway would of
course, pay for your time. Usually you can get a large amount of advertising
for a surprisingly small effort. And of course, you let Parkway do this.
They already have a lot of "pull" because they are paying advertisers.

I'm sure you have heard all the previous discussions about putting key words
in Alt tags, the body of the page, titles and even captions. Yes--they all
work and they are all good.

But the "best" way is still to paraphrase the guy on the Smith Barney adds

"We got our advertising the old fashioned way ... We bought it!!"

For example--for local results, even simple ten second spot adds saying
something like, "For the best in new and used cars...Click on
Parkway--Dot--Com", (or whatever). This will do more for your client than
all the search engines in the world.

And of course, they should have the web site listed in ALL their other
advertising, Yellow Pages, flyers, business cards, letter heads, etc. etc.
etc.

After all, no one is going to use the search engine in the first place until
someone tells them there is a web site to search for --- if you follow my
weird, convoluted logic.

And--finally--You can Thank Bill Gates--or cuss him--but more and more are
now "searching" by typing in "Parkway Chevrolet" in the address line of IE-5
and hitting the return key. And--as this action now covers several search
engines at once, the need to be "first" in all of them has been moderated
somewhat.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA