Re: Another W3C strict query

by "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 21:19:33 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hilma,

> Currently, i have two different link colours (external is purple, internal
> is blue, but they will probably change - easy in css ;-) )-
> external opens new windows,
> internal doesn't.  (and internal *may* get split into 2 more colours, for
> "internal to this site" and "somewhere else on this page ;-) )

> ....Though I'm not sure about accessibility issues on it, as i'd still use
> colour to differentiate. Any (more) ideas?!
>
> h..

Among the accessibility guidelines is one that urges you not to provide
information that is only available through color. In addition to those who
are blind, you may make using the site hard for some people who are color
blind.

Instead, you might try using the title attribute, which I believe a screen
reader will read and which shows up to the sighted as a tool tip .So you
could write your link (spaces so the link doesn't render) :
< a href = "external-link.html" title= "this takes you off this site and
opens in a new window " > other info < /a >

This is comparable to the alt attribute used for images.

Here's a page with more info on this
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/toolmsg.shtml

 Hope this helps :-)

Pam