Re: Tables for Idiots

by "Dusty" <designsbydusty(at)tiadon.com>

 Date:  Wed, 30 May 2001 16:59:31 -0500
 To:  "Orthodox Hawai'i" <postmaster(at)orthodoxhawaii.org>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello--

I use left-side borders all the time. I don't know if this is what you're
looking for, but here is how I set up my table. (I do, however, replace the
parentheses with brackets, of course.)

(body background="your_image.gif" text="#color" link="#color" vlink="#color"
alink="#color")
(table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" border="1")
    (tr)
        (td align="center" valign="top" width="however wide the border is,
in a percentage")
        (/td)
        (td align="left" valign="top" width="100% minus the percentage from
your first column")
        Whatever the content of my page is
        (/td)
    (/tr)
(/table)

As the width of the borders I use varies, I usually have to play around with
the widths of the two columns to get it just right. To do this, I usually
set the border attribute of the table at "1" until it's the way I want it.

I have also placed a navigation bar at the left side, either completely
inside the border or extending out beyond the border. If the bar is to be
completely enclosed within the border, I place it within the first column as
set up above. If it is to extend beyond the border, I make the first column
wider to accomodate it. Here is an example, where I didn't actually use a
border image, but set up my table so that the navigation menu runs down the
left side of the page-- http://www.geocities.com/mothers_wisdom/menu.html
(And this site is due for a major overhaul soon, btw.)

Hope this helps.

Dusty