Re: Spelling and Grammar skills

by "IceWolf" <icewolf(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:00:41 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> But you do bring up a point -that the love of language, and writing, and
the
> skills for putting words together as an act of creation and design have
gone
> the way of penny bubble gum.  It does start early, beginning with the
voice
> of our parents reading those bedtime stories us.

I'd say more that they are endangered species, though not yet extinct.

> Wordsmithing, I fear, has become nothing more than something that fills
the
> blank space around the buying message.  Creating wealth has become an end
in
> itself.  Writing is not as exciting as selling net stocks, certainly!

And in these days of computerized spell-checkers, one sees many hilarious
mistakes in books as well as on the web. In one notable example I read
recently, the conversation between two characters had turned to theology.
One made a reference to an all-powerful Dog.

I must have laughed for ten minutes when I read that.

It is truly sad that many people cannot put together a coherent written
sentence in their native tongue (in this case, English). I don't mean typos;
I refer to the improper use of "they're", "their", and "there" and "your"
and "you're". There are many other examples, but these are my two pet
peeves.

What to do? What to do? Many, if not most, web-masters don't want to hear
it. I've been told that I'm "picking nits", and that "everyone knows what's
meant, so who cares?"

I'll quit ranting now. Perhaps we should form a Society for the Preservation
of Properly Written English?

--IceWolf