Re: Another W3C strict query

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 26 May 2002 07:16:54 +0100
 To:  "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> > ....Though I'm not sure about accessibility issues on it, as i'd still
use
> > colour to differentiate. Any (more) ideas?!

.......> Among the accessibility guidelines is one that urges you not to
provide
> information that is only available through color. In addition to those who
> are blind, you may make using the site hard for some people who are color
> blind.

Whilst many people consider total blindness, an interesting one often
overlooked is red/green colour-blindness sufferedd by millions of men -
never use those to differnetiate, even in the "colour-is-ok" alternative)

> Instead, you might try using the title attribute, which I believe a screen
> reader will read and which shows up to the sighted as a tool tip .So you
> could write your link (spaces so the link doesn't render) :
> < a href = "external-link.html" title= "this takes you off this site and
> opens in a new window " > other info < /a >
>
> This is comparable to the alt attribute used for images.
That's just what i was after, i knoew there would be a way, thank you!

> Here's a page with more info on this
> http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/toolmsg.shtml
>
>  Hope this helps :-)
it sure does :-)