Re: What is the "www" part of a domain name?

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:32:52 -0700
 To:  "Peter Newton" <c-newton(at)ihug.co.nz>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Let's hope I give you some insight, without sticking my foot in my mouth.
:)

The "www" is the name of the machine, or virtual machine that is hosting the
web server.  For instance, there is a difference between
http://www.microsoft.com vs. http://home.microsoft.com.

My linux consultant explained to me that if there is only 1 machine name
registered to a particular domain, the address minus the "www" will work
just fine, providing their ISP or their own name server (dns server) is
set-up and running correctly.

For my server, which runs on my kitchen counter, my dns entries should allow
you to connect to my web server by only the domain name, however, the actual
machine name is "ns1".  This means you should get the same "home page" if
you enter http://ntyc.net, http://ns1.ntyc.net, or http://www.ntyc.net.

paul