Re: cross platform fonts

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2000 12:54:46 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Lori Eldridge" <lorel(at)ior.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Not sure what your requirement is here, but you can't count on any fonts
that aren't native to the OS of a given machine.

However, you also have to allow for the fact that many will install other
fonts. For instance, there are, as I understand it, two different Arial
fonts available on the Mac. Supposedly one of these, at least, looks real
bad in small font sizes. Thus it is a good idea to specify for a san-serif
font: "Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,san-serif" so the Mac will use Geneva, which
is a san serif font which looks good in small sizes. Since Geneva isn't on
the PC (although someone will probably tell me where to get it!) the PC will
use Arial. Then other platforms can use Helvetica and, baring that font, any
sanserif font available. This doesn't answer your question, but this info
isn't too widely publicized and your message prompted me to pass this on. I
believe I learned this a long time ago on this list.

Gary