Re: Link format question

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:03:54 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rob:

This is done with Cascading Style Sheets which is simply a file
that either:

1. Rests in the same directory as your .html pages and is
"called" by HTML.

2. Is inserted in the HEAD section of a page and thus controls
the whole page.

3. Is inserted anywhere in the page and thus controls the objects
"below" the insertion point.

This is why it is called CASCADING. (After all, it could not
"cascade" if ALL the commands were in the HEAD.

All the above "stuff" aside, the important part of the CSS file
for your request is:

{text-decoration: none}

Below are examples taken from my magazine at:
http://www.newsredding.com/

This is the whole file for that page. Note that it also contains
information not needed for you question about underlined links.
Also note that the actual links also have additional code
controlling a splash of background color as the mouse hovers over
the link and a font change to give it an interactive effect
without resorting to images.

In CSS, each element is complete and you can simply delete any
functions you do not wish to use.

<!--
     BODY,P,TD,BLOCKQUOTE

          font-family: Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica,
Sans-serif;          color: #000000;

     }
     H1 {           font-family: Arial Black, Arial, Sans-serif;
color: #0000FF;     }      H2

          font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;
          font-weight: 700;          color: #FF0000;
     }
     H3

          font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;
          font-weight: 700;
     }
    A:link {text-decoration: none}
    A:hover {background: yellow}
    A:visited {text-decoration: none}
    A:active { font-family:  Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;
color: #00FF00;
        font-weight: 800; }     {text-decoration: none}
-->

This is the code to "call" the CSS file. In this case the .css
file is called "temer-2.css"

<LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="temer-2.css" TYPE="text/css">

Yes, there is a temer-1.css and a temer-3.css as well. On some
pages these files are called at different places in the page to
change the format of the text in much the same manner that you
would use Styles in Word or WordPerfect.

You may have heard that a CSS file should be inserted in the HEAD
section of a page. This is not wrong -- but -- Just remember that
a CSS file in the HEAD section controls the WHOLE page. The
ability to Cascade or change to new styles then becomes a little
spotty in some browsers.
Therefore, using the advise from articles at Microsoft, we have
always inserted our CSS files in the BODY section. Just remember,
the file must be inserted ABOVE any elements that it will be
expected to control.

Note: The order of Link, Hover, Visited, and Active is important.
If something does not work as you intended, try rearranging the
order of these. Play with this and you will soon see the effects.
For example, I believe you could combine Hover and Active to get
a different effect.

(I do not claim that the order above is ideal -- we just played
around till we got the effect we wished and then quit while we
were ahead. [Big Grin])

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hi all,
>
>I am doing a page and I don't want text links to be
underlined... what is