Re: Using Tables

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2000 09:15:26 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Raj:

With my "typical" setup I use for testing web printing, (Windows 98, IE-5,
Pentium II, Brother 720 laser set for "portrait" on "letter" 8-1/2x11), your
page printed just fine. It started the next line with words "Northern
Ireland Executive was ....".

However--if I may suggest from a "publishing" viewpoint--your line length is
too long for easy reading. If you are trying to eliminate tables, how about
using <blockquote> to reduce the line length so it will be easier to read.

The generally accepted range for this sort of thing is from about 45 to 60
characters per line. In other words, ideally the first line should end
after:

" .... process in Northern Ireland was [new line]
on an upward ....."

Of course, one must concede the fact that there may be several opinions on
this.

And -- Web pages make controlling line length very difficult without the use
of tables and preset font sizes. Preset font sizes in turn makes it very
hard for the visually impaired to adjust font sizes to their liking. The
original authors of HTML were no doubt, all devotees of the book Catch 22.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net