Re: Page redirect

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Dec 2000 10:56:19 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Lori Eldridge" <lorield(at)uswest.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have the meta refresh tag on almost all of my web pages so people
> will get the updated copy and not one in their cache. I had never
> heard that some search engines won't list a site with them. Can you
> tell us which ones? Must not be Yahoo because they have listed all
> but one of my sites that I requested.

I think I answered this one about a month ago.  AlataVista is the main one
now.  Evidently Go which was very important because it has been supplying
other serach engines used to penalize for meta refresh, but has recently
changed their policy although they say the don't accept fast resfresh
whatever that is.

Another problem is weekend submissions.  Several serach engines seem to
accept weekend submissions but evidently dump them without indexing.  I am
not sure if this is related to non-professional (weekender) websites or
because they are saving their bandwidth for customers.

 A great free source for info is: http://www.laisha.com/altavista.html  She
just updated the information and it is very usable.  It is also in a sizable
bite.  searchenginewatch.com is considered the best source of data but it
costs money for the real insider info and it is pretty large in size.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net