Re: Problem with Tables....

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:58:19 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
John:

I see you are using:
<TR VALIGN="Middle">

The problem with using this method is that the "center" will be different on
each page due to the different length of the content in the right cell of
your table. As the cell runs the full height, it will vary to match the
overall height of the whole table.

There are several different things that could be used here without resorting
to absolute positioning with CSS. The simple thing would be to align
everything to the top and place some sort of "filler" between the top of the
cell and your link buttons. This could be a script showing the date, any
logo or graphic that might be appropriate, or even a transparent GIF. (Or
any combination.)

I have even placed a period or two to force the browser to recognize line
spacing. The period is made the same color as the background. I have used
this method on two or three sites and it does not seem to bother search
engines at all.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA