Re: Strange Messages

by "Lisa Whirrett" <justlisa(at)grm.net>

 Date:  Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:13:48 -0500
 To:  "Miss B" <bcbass(at)prodigy.net>,
"C. A. Milton" <camilton(at)icx.net>
 Cc:  "HWG Writer's Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Caryl and Miss B,

I am sending this to you both off list since virus discussion isn't allowed
there.

Caryl, the messages you are receiving aren't Code Red.  Trust me, I have
been up to my eyeballs in Code Red and it's mutations for the past two
weeks.  yuck.   Code Red isn't passed by email or websites.  It is sent
server to server and is only a problem for those of us who administer IIS.
It cannot in any way damage or infect a personal PC - just servers running
IIS.

The emails that you are receiving are a product of the sircam worm.  It
works by sending messages to people in the infected user's address book but
has a twist in that it also pulls two files from the infected user's "my
documents" folder and hides the virus inside these documents.

You can find more information about it here.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm(at)mm.html

As always, it is best to never open attachments from people you don't know
and even then, only if you have the latest virus scanning program installed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me offlist.

Thanks
Lisa