Re: Brain cramp lying on the Table

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:04:25 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim:

I hate to say this but I think you are asking for trouble, trying
to get a table to line up with a graphic. Not only will different
browsers cause trouble--different screen resolutions will do the
same. Also, do not forget that most view with their browsers set
at considerably less than full screen. All these factors will
cause trouble.

I would do a quick re-design of the upper graphic so that it
would be unnecessary to line up the table below.

You might also give some thought to placing the graphic in a one
cell table and then make sure that BOTH tables have the same
width. Even here you may be forced to used fixed widths rather
than a percentage to keep the pixel count the same.

Background images are very tricky things. Even some of the "big
hot shot" sites that use them can get some "interesting" results
when viewed, either at 640x480 or at the other extreme.

An old graphic artist trick is to use the same color theme
horizontally on the top and vertically down the body of the page.
The continuity is still there and there are no alignment
problems.

I pulled your site into FrontPage and it took only a few seconds
to line it up, (Plain HTML tables), but then I viewed in  two
different browsers. Each showed it differently.

As an old print media graphic artist I must admit that the lack
of control in HTML has brought me to point of tears on several
occasions. It is certainly no place for sissies, but I keep
sniffling and trying.

Good luck and best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA