Re: Dinosaurs

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:41:23 -0500
 To:  "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>,
"hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Between these powerful tools and the TIDY program, I'm left wondering if
> their is really any need for people with the knowledge to hand code web
> pages.  If I continue with my present track will I become the way of the
> dinosaurs.  Any thoughts?

Fear not!  Software can do some neat things, but these programs cannot
create new looking sites.  They tend to have a cookie-cutter approach to
design which is only suitable for the least discerning customers and won't
withstand the test of time.  They also don't create clear cut navigation
paths to information or products - only experienced people can do these
things.

There are millions of websites out there the vast majority are there
strictly for vanity reasons. The owner wants to have a web presence, because
his buddy has one.  They have no clear goal, and the web pages are
convoluted messes created for the most part by a misguided committee or a
boss that is ignorant of the issues or even knows how to reply to an email.

Few web sites actually make money - and I doubt any "cookie-cutter" sites
come under that heading.  I have looked at meta tag generators and search
engine registration programs and none of them will get you listed on Yahoo.
It takes good old fashioned know-how and the ability to build attractive and
usable web pages.

I have been using an editor for years, it keeps me from forgeting to close
tags and lets me think about what I want to do, rather than the nuts and
bolts of typing tags. I still have to know how to write code because no
editor does everything perfectly.   I use lots of other cool tools too,
thats all they are - tools.  Its US that make the Internet work, or not
work.  Thats why I like HWG.

Paul Wilson (a fellow dinosaur)
webgooru(at)gte.net